Car Accident Rehabilitation Process

When you’re seeking car accident compensation, you need to consider your rehabilitation. If you have sustained an injury from a motor vehicle accident and require rehabilitation treatment, this needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Your doctor will tell you whether your injuries require rehabilitation.

How will the CTP insurer help me?

The rehabilitation provided under the CTP (Compulsory Third Party) scheme is intended to help you get back to the physical condition you were in before the accident. Sometimes this may not be possible, so the rehabilitation treatment will focus on helping you learn new skills to assist the way you live in the future. One thing to remember is that you will not be left alone in the rehabilitation process.

What does the CTP insurer fund in terms of my rehabilitation?

Firstly, the insurer needs to accept liability or at least agree to pay for your rehabilitation without admitting liability.  Once they do, they will be required to pay all expenses that are reasonable and appropriate that relate to your injuries sustained from the accident. 

Just remember, you need proof.

These injuries need to be validated which means you need to provide receipts for the treatment to the insurer or have a referral for the treatment from your GP.

How do I organise my rehabilitation or other treatment?

Your rehabilitation can be organised in one of two ways;

  1. The insurer receives your medical certificate which states you require rehabilitation services, and contacts you to organise the commencement of services.
  2. You and/or your doctor decide you require rehabilitation services. Once this decision has been made, you are required to contact the insurer and request they fund the rehabilitation services (as your car accident lawyer, we can do this for you on your behalf), or you can ask the rehabilitation treatment provider to contact the insurer on your behalf.

    The request must be in writing, which can be a letter from your doctor, or a copy of your treatment plan.

Who pays for the rehabilitation expenses?

You will not have any out-of-pocket expenses provided you obtain pre-approval.

How do I obtain that?

  1. You need proof and a referral from your doctor. This can include a referral for your treatment or any information from consultations and tests. 
  2. Send a copy of this information to the CTP insurer.
  3. The CTP insurer will review and give pre-approval and notify you and your doctor of the outcome.

Once you have pre-approval, this means the rehabilitation provider will send any invoices for your treatment straight to the insurer.

Who pays for treatment in a public hospital or by emergency services?

You will not be charged for any treatment in a public hospital or by emergency services. All treatment by Queensland emergency services and public hospitals is covered by the Hospital and Emergency Services levy which is included in your CTP insurance premium. 

What happens if the insurer rejects my claim?

If we have a case where the insurer denies liability, you will be responsible for meeting all of your medical expenses. However, it’s important to still keep all of your medical receipts as you may later appeal this decision and the insurer is found to be liable. You may also be able to claim some of your expenses through Medicare or your own private health insurance.

What If I don’t agree with the insurer’s decision?

If the insurer has denied liability and you don’t agree with this decision, you can request that the insurer refers your case to their internal dispute resolution service.

If this doesn’t resolve the matter for you, you can contact the Motor Accident Insurance Commission (MAIC). They will appoint a mediator to your case. There may be a cost involved with this and participation in mediation is voluntary for all parties.
If you’re still not happy, you can take the matter to court for a final decision.

How can GC Law help with my rehabilitation?

Our car accident lawyers will be the most knowledgeable point of contact for you throughout your claim process, and will ensure you are getting the rehabilitation you are entitled to. If you have reached the point of your insurer rejecting your claim, it’s not too late to speak to us. We can explain why the insurer has reached this decision, and the process and prospects of taking the matter further.

Speak to one of our car accident lawyers now on 1300 302 318 or fill out our quick advice form to the right of our home page to get your free claim review. Or, you can download our e-book ‘GC Law guide for people injured in a motor vehicle accident’ for more information on making a car accident compensation claim.

Live Chat